Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013 - Blog On, and new room

As you can clearly see 2012 was a terrible year for blogging for me.  I just lost the motivation and didn't keep up with it.  But, 2013 is a new year and I am pledging to blog Monday thru Friday for the entire year.  I hope I don't bore you with our mundane day to day details but I will do my best to keep it somewhat lively.  I also plan on adding all the funny quote Laila and Jai say.  I already regret not writing down things in the past and I think this will be a great way to keep the funny things that come out of their mouth saved forever.  Wish me luck!

Now to my first post of 2013....

As we headed into winter I was really wanting to get the kids out of their toddler beds and into big kid beds. I moved them into a bigger spare room and Manik and I painted it a light shade of gray. Laila and Jai still share the same room so it was difficult to make the room not to girly and not too boyish.  As a compromise I decided to go with fun bold colors and use as much free stuff as possible.

I made their profiles on canvas and absolutely love the way they came out!  I wanted to do some profiles of elephants and rhino's for above Jai's bed but I was afraid it would be to many faces!

My mom sewed the curtains for me, they were the kicking off point for me, I am in love with chevron these days and have to find a way to get it into the room!  I picked up a magazine rack off craigslist and painted that baby orange, now it holds all their books.




I found the elephant at a thrift store and knew it would be perfect for above Jai's bed, it is solid wood and could give him a concussion if it fell so we have our handy man put that sucker up!  The letter "J" i covered in yarn and am really happy with how gives it some more texture.  I wanted to have something colorful for his wall and was thrilled when I saw "to the moon and back" pic at Home Goods!  Laila's and Jai's bedding is polka dot and in fun colors, just wanted their room to feel happy and fun.




I picked this up from a warehouse near us, sanded it, and spray painted it.  It is sturdy, and Laila uses it to climb into bed and it doesn't move an inch.  That baby is rock solid!


It may be hard to see but their head boards are old barn board.  My brother Jason put them together for me and I love the old and new look together.







I had a leftover barn board so I made a measuring stick to keep track of the kids height as they grow.  And my mom had given me a mirror, so we just popped out the mirror and spray painted the frame orange.  I am so happy with how the room turned out, the kids love it too!





Cheers,

Heidi

No comments: